link to


• Home
• About PDEQ
• Contact Information
• Public Records Request
• News and Events
• Search PDEQ

Environmental Quality Division

• Air
• Water
• Waste

Solid Waste Division

• Solid Waste

Browse by Category

• Permits & Forms
• Complaints
• Landfills
• Education & Outreach
• Environmental Justice
• Programs & Info
• Rules & Regulations
• FAQs
• Links

Reporting - Resolving -Topics - Form

" "

Reporting an Environmental Complaint to PDEQ

PDEQ strives to identify and respond to environmental concerns in Pima County. For a description of the types of problems that PDEQ can address, see Topics below.  To file a complaint either call 724-7400 and ask to speak to a Complaint Coordinator, or fill out our online complaint form.

Be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Address of property where the problem has occurred or is occurring.
  • Detailed directions to the location where you observed the problem if it is difficult to find, be as specific as possible.
  • The time the incident occurred and whether it is continuing at the time of your call.
  • If you observed a person illegally dumping waste from a vehicle, give a description of the vehicle and the license number.
  • The name of the property owner, if known.
  • Description of the problem.
  • The weather conditions during each occurrence.
  • The location and extent of property damage, if any.
  • Any other information that may relate the problem to a specific source or operation.

The Complaint Coordinator will ask for your name, address and phone number when you call to report a complaint. Although this information is not required in order to file a complaint, the information does help PDEQ inspectors to verify complaint information and allows them to inform complainants of the status of complaint investigation activities.

Important Phone Numbers


" "

Buffelgrass Complaints

PDEQ in coordination with other state and local agencies is committed to addressing the serious threat posed by the spread of buffelgrass in the Sonoran Desert. The Pima County Board of Supervisors has recently adopted an ordinance to facilitate this effort. Please read the provided information on the link below, prior to submitting a complaint electronically or calling in your complaint @ 724-7400.


" "

Resolving Environmental Complaints

The information that you give to the Complaint Coordinator or online complaint form will be forwarded to a PDEQ inspector for follow-up and resolution. Complaints which involve an immediate threat to human health receive the top priority.

An inspector will survey the suspected area where the incident occurred, look for evidence of the problem, and attempt to verify its cause. The inspector may need additional information from you, the complainant, in order to complete the investigation. If the inspector observes and documents a violation of applicable sections of Pima County environmental regulations, a Notice of Violation (NOV) will be issued to the responsible party. The time frames for investigations may vary because of the necessity for fairness and due process of law to all parties involved.

After the investigation, the inspector may contact you to discuss his/her findings (as long as you supplied contact information). If the problem occurs again at another time, you should call 724-7400 to report additional instances as they happen.


" "

Topics for Questions and Complaints

The following are examples of the types of complaints PDEQ can address under our regulatory authority.

Pima County Department of Environmental Quality can respond to questions and complaints regarding the following topics:


  • Permits
  • Emissions coming from a business
  • Burning
  • Smoke
  • Dust
  • Monitoring air quality

We are sorry, but we can no longer take complaints for excessively polluting vehicles. The PDEQ Smoking Vehicle Hotline was discontinued due to cuts in state funding that supported the program. Thank you for your concern about healthy air.


  • Drinking water provided by small water companies - For information about drinking water provided by large water companies (Tucson Water, Metro Water), contact Arizona Department of Environmental Quality at 628-6733.
  • Industrial discharges
  • Draining swimming pools, washers, sinks, etc.


  • Uncontained garbage in residential areas (county only) - In the City of Tucson, contact City of Tucson Solid Waste Department at 791-3171.
  • Illegal or wildcat dumping
  • Abandoned vehicles on vacant land - Report abandoned vehicles on county roadsides to the Pima County Sheriff's Department. If a vehicle has been abandoned on private property, contact Pima County Zoning at 740-6740.
  • Solid and liquid waste haulers
  • Raw sewage
  • Septic systems (approvals and percolation tests)


  • Removal and disposal of asbestos
  • Demolition projects


  • In the City of Tucson, noise complaints should be directed to the Tucson Police Department.
  • In Pima County, noise complaints should be directed to the Pima County Sheriff's Department.

Reporting - Resolving -Topics - Form

Pima County Seal - link to

Copyright © 2013, All rights reserved

Privacy Statement / Disclaimer
Notice of Non-Discrimination - Aviso de No Discriminación